Thursday, June 10, 2010

What Makes a Good Reader



I think Nabakov’s idea of a good reader is one that can really get themselves into what they are reading and has an open mind about everything in the text. A good reader must be able to have a good imagination in order to visualize what the words are saying. Nabakov also says that in order to be a good reader we must reread. Since reading can be a straining physical task on the eyes Nabakov says that in order to really get everything out of the text you must reread. I think that Nabakov’s idea of a good reader is fair. I think that having a good imagination helps a lot. I think rereading is important but I also think that you can get away with not doing it.

Aside from Nabakov’s ideas I think that a good reader must read critically as well. I think that when reading text you should have an open mind but also question what you are reading so you can seek the truth. I also think people try and read way too fast. Reading slowly is not a bad thing it can help make sure you do not miss anything and you retain as much information as possible. I think that I am an ok reader. It is hard for me to sit in one place and try to read for a long time. Even when reading the Nabakov essay my mind started wandering toward the end and it was hard to concentrate.

Image taken from http://www.gltech.org/library/Reading/Images/ziggy-slowReading.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment